Working at TI must feel like a DIY Geek's vision of xmas every day.
The incredibly cool watch in the picture to the right is not only a nice looking watch, but a powerful Bluetooth development system.
The watch/development system is not only fun to work with in the lab, but a real eye catching and useful tool when not in the lab. The watch acts as a notifier for you Android phone. The watch connects to you Android phone using Bluetooth, and using the free firmware provided notifies you whenever your phone receives a email, text, or alarm.
The watch includes a vibration motor so it can inform you of the notifications from the Android phone privately.
In addition to receiving notifications from your Android phone, the watch can also be used to send events to the phone. For example, the watch can be used to control the music player on your phone.
From TI's website at: https://estore.ti.com/MSP-WDS430BT2000D-Bluetooth-Wearable-Watch-de...
Meta Watch is a wearable development system that enables rapid development of ‘connected-watch’ applications. With Meta Watch, developers can quickly and easily extend the interfaces of devices and applications to the wrist. The Meta Watch platforms utilize embedded Bluetooth® technology to connect to smartphones, mobile devices and other Bluetooth enabled devices. For support and complete information, visit www.metawatch.org.
This digital Meta Watch platform is based on the MSP430F5438A MSP430™ ultra-low-power microcontroller and CC2560 Bluetooth host controller solution from Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI).
The digital Meta Watch kit features:
- A great looking watch
- An easy-to-use Bluetooth enabled wearable development system
- Fully-tooled; production-ready modules with FCC, CE certification
- Stainless steel case
- Leather strap
- Water-resistant (3 ATM)
- Mineral crystal lens
- Vibrating motor
- Three-axis accelerometer
- Ambient light sensor
- 96x96 Dot Matrix Display - Highly Reflective; easily read in direct sunlight
- 6 Buttons
- Includes programming /charging clip & USB cable
- Ability to easily program through external clip & cable; no need to open watch
- Supports open source projects that support both CCS (Code Composer Studio) and IAR tool chains
The Meta Watch Embedded SDK features:
- Add your own thread to the watch for special functions
- Use the Meta Watch low-power application framework
- No need to open the watch for in-circuit debugging
- Uses TI SPI-BY-Wire
- Leverage the Bluetooth radio and remote protocol for communication
- Sample code which is an Open Source Android SDK project demonstrating watch connectivity to an Android phone. The project demonstrates watch idle screen use as well as notifications for: CallerID, SMS messages, alarms, calendar events, music control, email and IM.
- Meta Watch is a fully-tooled production unit which lowers the barrier to market entry
- As a development platform it allows users to create custom wearable applications
- Bluetooth technology allows connection to over 3 billion + Bluetooth devices in the market
- Freely available source example code allows for easy development
- Meta Watch community with forums, documentation and links to sample code
The MSP-WDS430BT2000AD also comes with
- One digital display watch with stainless steel case; mineral crystal lens; leather strap preprogrammed to connect to an Android device out of box
- Programming/charging clip & micro USB cable